Sex Crimes» Print This Page
What are Sex Crimes under Texas Law?
Sex crimes, or sexually related criminal offenses, under Texas law cover many different situations, with many different punishments. Sex crimes involving minors, for example, include as a punishment the listing of the convicted person on a public list — the registered sex offenders’ list. Aggravated sexual assaults and rapes can result in felony charges and long prison sentences. In Texas, sex crimes include criminal charges for:
- Sexual assault
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Child molestation
- Statutory rape
- Indecency with a child
- Indecent exposure
- Public lewdness
- Possession of pornography
- Possession of child pornography
- Promotion of child pornography
- Solicitation of a child
- Online solicitation of a child (under age 17)
- Improper photography or visual recording
- Promotion of prostitution
- Compelling prostitution
- Obscene display or distribution
There may also be corresponding criminal charges under federal law, depending upon the circumstances. Federal law and state law work together in defining and prosecuting sex crimes. For example, Megan’s Law (registering sex offenders) and Amber Alerts (public notification of missing children) originated as federal laws and now have Texas state law components.
How Dallas Sex Crimes Criminal Defense Attorney Michael Lowe Can Help
The penalties for all types of sex-related crimes and offenses are among the most severe in Texas law. This is particularly true if a child is involved, or if the circumstances were violent.
Do you know that most sex related crimes require registration as a sex offender if you receive probation? You may even have to register as a sex offender even if you were never convicted and the judge never even made it a condition of probation to register. You need a lawyer who is experienced, honest and aggressive in defending these cases. Don’t end up a registered sex offender for the rest of your life.
Having a criminal lawyer at your side can be very important as you face these types of serious criminal allegations. Sex crimes are extremely serious criminal charges. Criminal defense attorney Michael Lowe can advise you concerning all of the consequences of a convicti
on or probation in any sex-related criminal offense, and answer questions for you such as:
- Is registering as a sex offender for the rest of your life an option?
- Is being required to admit to crimes you believe you never committed — just to complete probation — an option?
As a former Felony Assistant District Attorney with the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office, defense attorney Michael Lowe has the training and experience you need to fully investigate and evaluate the sex-related criminal charges that you are facing. Taking together his experiences as an assistant district attorney with his extensive criminal defense experience, attorney Michael Lowe can clearly advise you concerning all your options. If a jury trial is the best option, Mr. Lowe will stand ready and prepared to try your case to a jury of your peers. Please call criminal defense attorney Michael Lowe for a free, initial consultation if he can be of help.
Each criminal case is unique, and the results for each case depend upon the facts of that particular alleged crime situation — especially when sex crimes are involved. Nevertheless, the following cases are representative of Dallas criminal defense attorney Michael Lowe’s background in representing defendants facing sex crime charges:
For the latest case news, please check out Michael Lowe’s Recent Case Results. The following is just a sampling of representative cases. These results should not be used to gauge what will happen in your individual case. You need a experienced lawyer to help you understand the possible results that can be achieved in your case.
- Garland Indecent Exposure Case Reduced to Class “C”. My client’s record will be totally expunged.
- Dallas County Sexual Assault/Rape case no billed by the Dallas County Grand Jury. I persuaded a Dallas County Grand Jury to find no probable cause in a date rape case against my client.
- Williamson County Indecency With a Child case dismissed and client’s probation reinstated.
- Online Solicitation of a Minor in Collin County. Client does NO TIME in jail. Client attempted to meet up with a child younger than 14 who turned out to be an undercover Detective. Mr. Lowe was able to persuade a Collin County District Judge to give his client probation and no jail time.
- Dallas County Indecent Exposure Case dismissed. Mr. Lowe was able to have his client case totally dismissed. No probation, no classes or community service. Client’s record was expunged.
Dallas criminal defense attorney Michael Lowe is available to help individuals who are being accused, investigated, or charged with crimes in the Dallas metroplex area. For a free legal consultation, please call (214) 526-1900, to schedule an appointment to visit with criminal lawyer Michael Lowe.